Thursday, June 13, 2013

Apologetics and Justification

About once a week for the last month, a neighbor has been coming over to 'discuss' religion with me.  From her questions, I can tell that she is still a believer, but that her doubts might be echoing in her head a little louder than before.

Why do I bring this up, you ask?

Well, in our talks, the common thread to her responses is: "Well, we can't know what he meant' or 'We just may be interpreting it wrong.'

I asked her some pretty straight-forward questions.  I placed her in the hot-seat to answer them.  Not me, not her God, not her mother...  But HER!

To every question I asked her, all of which were 'moral' questions, she answered like I did.

  • That she would stop her child from suffering.  
  • That she would stop that young girl from being raped
  • That she would help the homeless
  • That she would feed the hungry
  • That she would treat all of her children equally
And the list went on, and on...

So, after all of these questions, I smiled at her and told her that she was more moral than her God.  She stared at me with a look that couldn't have been worse than if I had just pulled baby Jesus out of my ass.

The next 30 minutes of my life, which I can never get back, were spent listening to her explain, rationalize and justify why her God would do that.

My response at the end of her diatribe was "So that makes it ok?"

No comments:

Post a Comment