Saturday, June 19, 2010

Moral, Immoral or Amoral…

I was watching one of my *favorite* fundamentalists on YouTube. As painful as it is to watch his videos, it’s still refreshing to see that his view is still protected under the First Amendment, Freedom of Speech, and Freedom of Religion. He’s a geo-centrist, a fundamentalist, and the up-coming poster child for the Texas Department of (mis)Education.

On one of his recent videos, he was trying to breakdown certain words, to show that we atheists are not using the right word to describe ourselves. One of the words he chose as an example was ‘amoral’. He gave the definition of it from Merriam-Webster:

1 a : being neither moral nor immoral; specifically : lying outside the sphere to which moral judgments apply

I know this wasn’t his intention, but his rambling made me stop the video and consider this point: Am I a moral person?

I like to think that I know the difference between right and wrong. But that still doesn’t answer the question of whether I am what a religious person would consider ‘moral’.

Reading through the bible, I see many things that I personally consider immoral being praised as moral, and many things I see no problem with being condemned as immoral and abominations.

Here are just a few examples of what I mean:

Gen 19:8
Behold now, I have two daughters which have not known man; let me, I pray you, bring them out unto you, and do ye to them as is good in your eyes: only unto these men do nothing; for therefore came they under the shadow of my roof.


(It is apparent that women have no significance in their culture, and their strong family values are really lacking as well)

Deut 20:12-14
12And if it will make no peace with thee, but will make war against thee, then thou shalt besiege it:


13And when the LORD thy God hath delivered it into thine hands, thou shalt smite every male thereof with the edge of the sword:

14But the women, and the little ones, and the cattle, and all that is in the city, even all the spoil thereof, shalt thou take unto thyself; and thou shalt eat the spoil of thine enemies, which the LORD thy God hath given thee.


(When you invade and they don’t surrender, Your God commands you to murder all the men. No, it’s not killing. YOU are the aggressor. It is MURDER! Then, after that, you can rape their women and take their children as slaves. And why you ask? Because your lord has given them to you, that’s why!)


Gen 6:7
And the LORD said, I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast, and the creeping thing, and the fowls of the air; for it repenteth me that I have made them.


(Global genocide. Nothing else to say about this one, it’s pretty obvious my objections here.)

I find it offensive to be judged for telling a ‘little-white-lie’ as being immoral, by the same person of faith that reads and believes it is required to stone your children to death for disobedience. Or that people of the same sex will destroy the sanctity of marriage while Christians still lead the statistics in domestic violence and divorce.

If you define ‘morality’ as a set of societal guidelines of what is right and wrong, based upon what is good for the whole without being discriminating against the individual, then I would consider myself a morally sound person. But if you insist on making outrageous claims that morality can only come from the God of the Bible, then not only do I consider myself to be a proud atheist, but I now consider myself to be a very proud amoral atheist.

No comments:

Post a Comment